Welcome to the website for the Basilica of Saint Louis, King... the Parish of St. Louis fondly known as the Old Cathedral.
The Old Cathedral is one of the most historic buildings in St. Louis with roots dating back to 1764 when St. Louis founders Pierre Laclede and Auguste Chouteau dedicated a parcel of land to the people of St. Louis for religious purposes that was called the "church block". The present building is the fourth church to be erected on the site. Construction began in 1831 and the church was dedicated in 1834.
It is the oldest building in the City of St. Louis and the only building that remains in the hands of its original owner, the Archdiocese of St. Louis. It has always been a place that welcomes and nurtures people of all faiths, including those of the Jewish faith as evidenced by the Latin and Hebrew inscriptions on the facade of the church.
Thanks for visiting our website. We hope you will come and pray with us soon!